Tuesday, July 1, 2008

google earth / maps

Spent some time last night trying to figure out how to make virtual trips in Google earth/maps. I figured out a way to create driving directions in Google Maps and then export them as a kml file to open up in Google Earth. I think it will be pretty cool to "fly" to their field trip before they take the school bus. Plus, they can see the terrain of the land from above and get an understanding of where they are going with respect to our location and location within California. My next step is to add images of Moaning Caverns I took previously into the Google Earth interface.

I originally thought students might be able to create these files on their own, but I think I'm going to have students download the file I've created and view it on their own computers in Google Earth and have them note their observations, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're the new Ms. Frizzle. I enjoy entering a location and then 'flying' to it in Google Earth. It will be a nice experience for the kids. I appreciate the way you've mentioned your Google Earth steps; it will help those of us who follow in yours.